Friday, February 19, 2010

Spring Reading Program

For several weeks now, Porter and I have gone once a week and picked out about 20 new books to read throughout the week. We've made a great routine of reading before naps and bedtime, and we LOVE spending this time together!

I am amazed at how much he enjoys reading time. He asks to go to the library and read his "libary books" all the time. My favorite part is when we finish a book, he always says "The End (whatever book we just read)" Today before nap we read a book about Old MacDonald and he said "The End Old MacDonald Book." It NEVER fails and it makes me smile every time :)

Some of our other favorites are "Llama Llama Red Pajama", "Happy Baby Colors", "Jamberry", "Trucks Roll", "Freight Train", "Firefighters to the Rescue", and "Whose Nose and Toes?" among MANY others. He is also really into the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" books. He likes all of them, especially the "Piggy Pankcake Book." He's in a great stage, because he still enjoys the simple phrased "baby" books, but he's starting to really enjoy lengthier books that tell stories as well, and he will sit still for at least 20 minutes at a time. I get some great snuggles in this way, too :)

He is super observant, and sometimes after reading a book only once, he will fill in words when I leave them out. He also notices things in the pictures that I overlook quite often.

During one of our recent visits to storytime at our local library, we heard about the Spring Reading Program, and I was super excited to sign up. For the program, we have to read 12 hours together and then we get a free book as a prize. We started 2 1/2 days ago, and we've already read over 120 minutes together!

We are both enjoying it so much, and I'm grateful for this quality time I get to spend with my favorite little guy! Can't wait to see which book we get to bring home!

p.s. Sorry no pictures! I'm having issues trying to sort out how to get them onto this mac! (In a user-friendly way!) Any advice?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so happy we are blog buddies now! I can't thank you enough for all that you do for our family!

Amanda B. said...

What a smart boy! Jonah loves reading too. I am SO glad that Porter is feeling better! That would be such a stressful thing to go through...for all of you. Take care!